Twitter Feed

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Gear Review: DON'T BUY THESE!!

Ok, I realize that the title of this post is a bit harsh, but over a couple year's experience with this brand of outdoors footwear, they've earned it.

If you're looking for shoes that will surely disappoint, then Merrell® makes the shoes for you. I don't know what's happened to them. Merrell® used to sell decent shoes & boots. I have an older pair of mid-weight Gore-Tex® hiking boots that are still going strong...then I bought my pair of polar mocs, a slip-on shoe for cooler weather. Within a few months the inner lining had worn completely through. Not much fun to wear when your heel gets jabbed by an exposed plastic shell.

Then I bought my Gore-Tex® approach shoes. Vibram® soles, waterproof, workhorse of a shoe, right?

Wrong!

The heel lining wore out within a couple months (anybody got some duct tape to cover the edge of that plastic heel cup?) plus the "waterproof" Gore-Tex® lining leaks like a sieve. My toes were squishing in 'em last week during heavy rain.

Bottom line: Avoid Merrell® shoes like the plague. They look nice, but the quality's just not there anymore.

No comments: