Twitter Feed

Saturday, April 25, 2009

My dad's gone...

On Wednesday, April 22nd, around 11pm, my dad went home to be with the Lord.

Of all the ways to go, he was hit by a train at a crossing in Pewaukee. I was stunned when my brother Dan called me at 3:20am when the police & medical examiner came to his door.

Only 2 weeks until my daughter Hattie is due to be born. Why?!

Only four months after my mom's death, we've lost another parent. Still raw from December's loss, now my pop's gone. There are times the grief is overwhelming.

But...

God has proved Himself faithful throughout this maelstrom. I'm actually thinking of writing down the growing list of ways God has answered prayers, supplied for our needs, etc. during this difficult time. Even the way dad died fulfilled a wish of his...when the medical examiner says, "I don't know how to explain this, but...", it's another reminder that God's in the picture. Despite being hit by a TRAIN, he had no broken bones, no devastating internal injuries...the only physical cause of death found was his broken neck. His death was instantaneous. Dad's biggest fear, especially with his heart and other health problems, was that he would slowly, painfully pass away in a hospital. Wednesday night, he was here one second, gone the next. The God who intimately knew my father honored that wish.

I know there are those out there who either don't believe in God, or at the very most believe He's hanging around on a cloud somewhere, watching us make due on our own. That's not the God I know. I've seen His involvement throughout my life, financial provision, physical healing, guidance...to say that God's not around makes absolutely no sense to me.

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!


Oh, the picture...dad had it hanging in his office at church. When I asked him about it, he said it reminded him of me when I was little, how I'd run to him with my arms in the air. It also reminded him of the love of God, our Father, and how much He delights in His children.

I love you, dad!

1 comment:

The Family Jacob said...

Dave,

I was not around to let you know that I have been praying for you. I can't even think about the many things that run through your mind much less you heart! I will continue to keep you all in my prayers as you look forward to the coming of another little blessing.
Please let me know is I can be of any help to you at camp?
In it all turn to God, for He is our true strength!