Twitter Feed

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gear Review: Patagonia

Ok, I'm taking a bit of a departure with this one - not so much a review of a specific product as it is a review of the brand as a whole.

As an outdoors professional, I have a tendency to look beyond the label. My gear has to WORK, regardless of price. Some of my most versatile equipment remains to this day among the least expensive...my $8 Walmart fleece flip-mittens, $25 insulated snow bibs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid to hand over large amounts of cash for quality gear that'll do the job for me. I can imagine your face if I told you how much my GoreTex XCR technical shell jacket cost.

Having never tried Patagonia's stuff before, I usually shied away...seemed like an overpriced niche brand, especially compared to my usual brands of choice...

...then I took a chance & bought my first piece on ebay.

After having a chance to put my first jacket to the test, exposing it to a full range of conditions out on the challenge courses, I became very aware of how well made it was. The quality, features, attention to detail...a very well made, solid garment that's obviously built to perform, not just to look good worn by a teenager at the local mall.

I've since sold a lot of my old gear & replaced 'em with their Patagonia counterparts.

Reading "Let My People Surf", by Yvon Chouinard (founder of Patagonia) has only further solidified my growing appreciation of what goes into each of their products - company philosophy, extremely rigorous testing...testing, and MORE testing. Patagonia's never the "fad" brand because it can take 1-2 YEARS before a product idea becomes a purchasable product...that is, IF it survives the testing. Amazing stuff. I highly recommend reading the book if you get a chance.

I'm sold. Keep 'em coming, Patagonia!

No comments: