Twitter Feed

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Gear Review - Crocs

Ok, so this is what I do once I get back in the office - I write reviews. To be fair, I've got a few minutes before lunch, and I HAVE finished repacking the kits from my caving trip, done some budgeting work, read an article related to universal access of challenge courses (i.e. participants with disabilities), and turned in a handful of receipts to the office.

Back to the review. This may seem like kind of a stretch. I mean, come on, are Crocs really gear? Aren't they those wacky foam slippers that everybody's wearing? If you go online, you'll find sites created by those who absolutely love 'em, and sites with people putting Crocs in blenders. Even The Daily Show made fun of them. So, where do I stand when it comes to Crocs? Originally, I thought they were funny looking & overpriced, especially for a couple pieces of foam.

Then I bought a pair.

I had some extra money, and after hearing enough people rant & rave, I decided to put 'em to the test. I have to admit, they are very comfortable. They don't breathe (at all!), but the abundance of ventilation holes make up for it. They fit loose, but wearing 'em with a thick pair of socks in cooler weather will make the sale for you. It's like wearing air!

Final verdict: I wouldn't go out & spend hundreds of dollars just so you can have one in every color, but like any other piece of gear, there's a right "tool" for the job, and Crocs definitely fill a niche. I'm actually interested in their new line of technical apparel. Somehow they've integrated their material into a woven fabric that's light & breathable. Oh well, that's a discussion saved for a future review.

No comments: