Twitter Feed

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Gear Review - Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Jacket

Being an outdoors professional who's closet looks like a mini-camping store, I've thought of reviewing some of the pieces of gear I pick up from time. Hope you find it helpful.

A month or so ago, I picked up a new fleece. It's been awhile, and I did sell some outerwear on eBay to make room for it. It's the Monkey Man Jacket ($140) by Mountain Hardwear. Now, for those unfamiliar with technical outerwear, you may be choking at the thought of spending that on a jacket. Maybe my review will help explain (BTW, I paid way less - watch for sales!)

The Monkey Man is like a feather-light, unbelievably soft shag carpet fashioned into a jacket. It's made out of Polarguard Thermal Pro fleece, in a weave Mountain Hardwear calls "Monkey Phur." It's not windproof, or even wind resistant. Where this jacket really shines is its versatility. Because it breathes so well, you can wear it in moderate temperatures comfortably. When the wind picks up or the mercury drops, put a shell jacket over the Monkey Man & say goodbye to cold.

It's quickly becoming one of my favorite jackets, so two enthusiastic thumbs up!


No comments: